Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What is Puffed Embroidery?


The "Puffed Embroidery" technique was developed and innovated by me in 1984. I used a tool that I had bought in the mid 1970's and wanted to figure out what to do with it. I was in a store and was intrigued with a Valentine cutter of a girl holding a heart, bought the cutter and thought about the tool. Somehow the use came to mind, and I began to use the "foot" tool to press into the lined impressions that the plastic cutter had made. It appeared to me that the areas around the lines of indentations created a puffed effect. Thus, the name, "Puffed Embroidery" and the whole presentation also reminded me of some type of embroidery.

The "Puffed Embroidery" technique was used around the ghosts that decorate the sides of the Halloween cake pictured, below. I covered the cake in orange fondant. Then, I pressed a ghost cookie cutter into the fondant and removed the orange fondant shape. I rolled out a piece of white fondant, cut out the ghost shape and replaced the area with the white ghost. It does not matter what the thickness is of the replacement shape. It just depends on the look that you'd like to have in regard to the thickness and depth of the area. If interested in obtaining the Foot Tool, just visit my web site: www.shavkin.com and send me an email. I have posted, in my cookie cutter product section of my website, pictures of my work using this technique.

I am presently working on new creations with what I call "Fondant Cookie Cutter Cutouts" that may be used for decorating cakes as well as cookies and cupcakes.

At the NY Cake Convention, I will be teaching this technique in a baby theme and will be demonstrating this technique in a bridal/wedding theme. I am presently working on the bridal/wedding themed display to bring to the convention. Please come to both, if possible, and enjoy my sharing.

Classes and demonstrations schedules are listed at the convention website: www.cakeconvention.com.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and that we met. This is great for me, too! We will get together on the first when Steve and I get to the City and settle in. We will exchange CEL #'s for easy contact.

    ReplyDelete