Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gum Paste Miniatures and Woodland Scene - The Magic Show 1982



In 1982, after competing for 9 years, I won First Place, Best of Division and Best of Show at a cake show in the Cherry Hill Mall in New Jersey. The competition was tough with over 270 entries.

My "Magic Touch" with a "Floating Lady" had hand molded miniatures of gum paste and wood grained effects. The lady actually appeared to be floating in mid air. The magician bunny and his family were dressed up in costumes.

The standing upright plaque in the background had a scene where the gum paste features got thicker as I built the scene toward the foreground. The bridge was placed touching the plaque scene and went onto the cross section of a log cut at an angle made of plastillage to look like wood. The animals watching the magic show were placed on the ground and on a wooden bench. There were birds perched in the evergreen trees, love doves in the hole in the maple tree and an opossum hanging from a branch of the maple tree.

The judges were mostly impressed with the curtain because the bottom of the curtain was turned up and simulated stitches were created at the hem. The stage was made to look similar to a stage made of wood.

After winning this Best of Show, it was requested by Mary Beth Enderson to bring my "Magic Touch" to the 1982 ICES Show and Convention to be held in Rochester, MN. I joined ICES and began to become internationally known for my gum paste miniatures and wood grained effect. It was neat when Judy Smith of Nebraska, a couple of week ago, when I was there to do a hands on class, vendor and demonstration, told the group attending a class that I was the "Queen of Miniatures". WOW! My work in that area was still being remembered even though I am now working more in rolled fondant using my innovated "Puffed Embroidery" technique on "Fondant Cookie Cutter Cutouts" and using tools, cutters and impression mats to made the decorations and designs. I was so pleased, and they were so excited to be learning new techniques - "Puffed Embroidery", my attached ruffle and my dig-in ruffle. They are interested in my coming back to Nebraska to teach my gum paste miniatures and woodland scenery on a rolled fondant covered base. This makes me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment