Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Diane's Attached Ruffles Technique










Way back when, when the cake decorating was in its early stages of being known in regard to rolled fondant and gum paste flowers, the technique of ruffling was done with a wooden tool and onto the side of the palm of the hand or anywhere on the hand that would work. The foam pad was not in existence, either. Well, I thought I was the only person in the world that just could NOT get a ruffle effect as I saw seeing in books and by teachers and decorators. Good grief was I NOT good at that at all!

Finally, as I have already mentioned, the foot tool was my baby! Now, I could make ruffles. I did not even have to mess around with attaching them to whatever I wanted them to be attached to. I was in my glory. At the 2007 ICES Show and Convention in Orlando, Florida, a lady came up to my vendor booth and wanted that tool that her friend said makes great ruffles. It was the foot tool. She was really wanting to see the tool and see how the ruffles were made. She was thrilled! Now, I know for sure that I "wasn't the only decorator in the world that could not do proper ruffling". After that, another lady came to my booth wanting, what else? The foot tool for ruffling!

The ruffles on the baby blanket are great because the piece of fondant or gum paste can get the impressions of a knitted or crocheted look and then have the foot tool go right over the indentations and smooth them out with the foot tool when the ruffles are created. If you would like the rope impression roller and any of the mats that I have available, please go to my web site and email me. You will be thrilled at what you, now, can accomplish.

Little circle can be cut out of fondant and have the attached ruffle created around it. Bow loops and tails can have impressions on them and have a ruffle created around the edges. Baby bibs, hearts, dresses, the bride's dresses, fondant strip borders and so many other cake emblishments can, now, have attached ruffles made so much more easily to enhance the fondant out. It's all done with this fabulous and amazing technique using the foot tool!

For more pictures using this technique for ruffles, please visit my web site: www.shavkin.com. Right on the index page are a variety of my bows with those attached ruffled edges.



Judy Smith of Nebraska totally flipped out, when I was there a couple of weeks, ago, and was intrigued when she saw that done on one of my wedding cake fondant cookie cutter cutouts. She was amazed that the ruffles were not added and liked the neat look.

No comments:

Post a Comment